Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ugo Capeto - Optimus (melodic electronica)



Not sure why I feel obligated to list the VSTs that have been used but I think it's interesting:

- Phenome CharlesTone
- Phenome ChamberStrings
- Phenome SteelDrum2
- Phenome NiceTrumpB
- Phenome RevBellX
- Phenome Bell2
- FPC (Fruity Pad Controller)
- SampleTank Heavy Metal

There's reverb on the drums (FPC) and the electric guitar (Heavy Metal). The master goes through "Fruity Limiter" in order to increase the volume (gain) and limit the drum hits that end up going past the ceiling (established at 0 db). It's some kind of normalization but not quite since the peaks get gently squashed. No compression was used in this track, that's always a given. Tune is in A Major and the beat is 48 bpm.

When I start writing a tune, can't say I have anything too precise in mind (surely, it shows). It just comes out. Can't say I take my inspiration from anybody in particular. I just make the kind of music I like. I think it's quite unique but I could be wrong. Of course, I have got some influences but it's pretty blurry. To name a few and in no particular order: Imogen Heap, Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Boards of Canada, Joe Satriani, and many more (I still have to listen to Autechre and Aphex Twin but I am sure they should be in there). There are so many artists/bands I like, it's not even funny. There are probably even more indie artists I'd probably like if only I knew them (thanks to twitter and reverb for helping in that regard). There are so many talented people out there, it's kinda overwhelming.

Not really sure if anybody enjoys my tunes but it's kinda fun making them. If you make music similar to mine and you have managed to come here, well, let me know.

I do use FL Studio to write tunes. It's far from being perfect but I really like the piano roll and the fact that I can compose tunes using patterns, just like with the Korg DS-10 (see the Home of the Korg DS-10). I can't stand the "event editor" for automation as it's the most unnatural thing in the world to use (in my opinion). I also have Reaper on my laptop but I prefer Fl Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment